Endless crunches, planking, mountain climbers; taming your tummy with popular ab exercises doesn’t always work in the same ways for everyone.
Why? Because everyone has a different stomach type. Getting bikini ready can be fun but then again not so fun. Majority of us women still think that the way to a toned flat tummy is by doing countless sit-ups, but A-list celebrity trainer, James Duigan says otherwise. Below are 5 tummy types and how to tackle them.
THE SPARE TIRE TUMMY
Caused by eating the wrong foods and not exercising enough. One of the easiest tummies to eliminate.
– Cut down alcohol.
– After cutting down alcohol, eat well and move more.
– Ditch calorie counting and move on to a diet full of unprocessed fresh foods.
– Exercise (long walks, lunges, squats, at-home yoga).
THE STRESS TUMMY
Weight is specific to the front of the stomach and umbilical area. When stressed, we produce cortisol which prompts the body to hold onto fat.
– Get enough sleep.
– Meditate, take long baths before bed and limit coffee consumption.
– Don’t opt for cardio when exercising. Instead, long walks, yoga, resistance exercises with weights.
– Eat magnesium rich foods; this helps soothe a stressed belly.
THE LITTLE POOCH
Caused by excessive crunches or using ab rollers which cause strain on the hip flexors and lower back, causing tummy muscles to protrude so the belly sticks out.
– Good nutrition and plenty of fiber (whole meal grains, green leafy veggies).
– Swap sit-ups for planks.
– Use weights; repetitions of exercises like squats or lunges.
THE MOMMY TUMMY
Caused by rushing back into exercising too quickly after giving birth. Stress of losing baby weight will make you cling onto it more.
– Fish oil supplements– they turn on fat burning hormones.
– Eat good fats; nuts, oils, olives.
– Gentle pelvic floor exercises– kegels.
– NO sit-ups.
THE BLOATED TUMMY
Flat in the morning, swells throughout the day. Caused by food intolerances and allergies, sluggish bowels and poor diet.
– Cut out gluten.
– Focus on a diet with fresh veggies , meat, chicken and fish.
– Make breakfast your biggest meal, avoid eating late at night, chew your food properly and drink a lot of water to keep your digestive system moving.
– Prebiotic and probiotic supplements. Miso soup, sour cream, kale, garlic and onions.
What kind of tummy do you have? Hopefully this helps you identify you midriff type and tackle it to achieve the flat tummy you’ve always wanted. Comment and let us know your tummy type and the exercises you do to eliminate it. We’ll post some of them!